TK Audit, Institutional Securities Group (ISG) Auditor, Executive Director
- Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 24 Jan 17
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities trading, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
II. Global Internal Audit Department
Within Morgan Stanley, Internal Audit is responsible for validating whether the Firm operates in a controlled environment with appropriate risk-management processes. Auditors evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of the Firm’s internal controls using a risk-based methodology developed from professional auditing standards. Internal Audit assists in monitoring the Firm’s compliance with internal guidelines set for risk management and risk monitoring, as well as external rules and regulations governing the industry. The team reports directly to the Board Audit Committee and helps verify whether the Firm meets all of its fiduciary responsibilities to shareholders, while adhering to corporate-governance standards and legal and regulatory requirements. Internal Audit comprises Business, Risk and Technology auditors. Business and Risk auditors focus on understanding the risks that the businesses face and the controls to mitigate those risks. Technology auditors focus on the application controls supporting business processes, including systems development, application security and entitlements, production management, and technology governance. Both groups are responsible for understanding, analyzing and testing the controls to protect the Firm’s franchise.
The Japan audit team, which is part of the Asia ex-India audit team within Internal Audit Department (IAD), is primarily responsible for audits across all Morgan Stanley businesses in Japan. The audits are designed to assess the adequacy of the control environment and to provide the Board Audit Committee and relevant regional committees with an independent assessment of risk across the Firm.
III. Position Description
Morgan Stanley is currently seeking an experienced auditor (Executive Director, ED) for its Tokyo-based Institutional Securities audit team covering the capital markets businesses in Japan as well as regional and global ISG audits, as appropriate. The ED is responsible for closely managing audit teams in the completion of audits and executing more complex aspects of these audits. The role also involves maintaining client relationships with various business unit department heads in Japan, representing Internal Audit in various local governance committees, as well as contributing to the daily operations of the audit function in Japan such as talent management, resources management, etc. The role reports locally to the Asia Audit Director based in Tokyo and functionally to the Asia ISG Audit Director based in Hong Kong. The person in the role will assist IAD’s ISG audit team in competing its annual audit plan, communicating to senior management and the Board Audit Committee those areas requiring control enhancements and proving recommendations for improvements. Audited functions include: sales and trading activities and procedures for one or more of the divisions (equities, fixed income and commodities trading), together with operations, financial accounting, compliance and legal protocols; as well as other aspects of the Institutional Securities business.
IV. Skills Required
The Audit Coverage Director must be able to risk assess processes, businesses and functions and manage a multi-disciplinary audit team in planning, executing and reporting on integrated financial and technology audits. This includes the following key skills:
• Extensive audit experience in capital markets businesses.
• Advanced knowledge of equity, fixed income and derivative structured products.
• Candidate with less experience will be considered as Vice President.
• Good working knowledge of securities regulations, especially in Japan.
• Demonstrates awareness of changes in the market place and regulatory landscape that impacts how products are distributed, traded, valued and settled.
• Extensive experience in risk assessing capital markets businesses for incorporation into an audit plan.
• Managing the preparation of audit planning, including identifying and evaluating key risks, setting audit scope, determining budgets and staff assignments.
• Experience in supervising and mentoring a team, and review work papers to ensure they meet internal quality assurance standards.
• Ability to manage multiple audits (regional and global) to meet budgets and the time frame for issuing reports.
• Ability to identify thematic issues across business areas.
• Writing audit reports, including clear and concise issues and recommendations, and negotiating their finalization with senior client management.
• Managing the closure verification process of audit issues and actions, which include ensuring timely following up actions with clients through to completion.
• Being able to articulate clearly to, and develop relationships with, senior client management.
V. Qualifications Desired
• 15+ years of experience in financial services.
• Strong analytical skills. Able to quickly process information.
• Bright, motivated with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• University degree in a business discipline e.g. Finance or Accounting.
• Advanced degree or relevant industry association qualification (e.g. FRM, CFA) will be an advantage.
• Japanese language is not mandatory but will be preferred.