GOLDMAN SACHS ASSET MANAGEMENT (GSAM)
Goldman Sachs Asset Management (GSAM) is one of the world's leading investment managers. GSAM provides institutional and individual investors with investment and advisory solutions, with strategies spanning asset classes, industries, and geographies. We help our clients navigate today's dynamic markets, and identify the opportunities that shape their portfolios and long-term investment goals. We extend these global capabilities to the world's leading pension plans, sovereign wealth funds, central banks, insurance companies, financial institutions, endowments, foundations, individuals and family offices.
At Goldman Sachs, our culture is one of teamwork, innovation and meritocracy. We often say our people are our greatest asset and we take pride in supporting each colleague both professionally and personally. From collaborative work spaces and mindfulness classes to working from home and flexible work options, we offer our people the support they need to reach their goals in and outside the office. YOUR IMPACT
We are hiring an Analyst/Associate to join the Global Stewardship Team. The position is based in Tokyo, with a focus on stewardship in the APAC region.
The role involves the following:
- Company Engagement: Engaging with the management of investee companies on corporate strategy and governance throughout the year, both independently and with portfolio managers; Collaborating with internal stakeholders to propose the annual engagement roadmap for the team; Coordinating and strategizing with Portfolio Managers to evaluate investee companies on the basis of environmental, social, and governance factors (ESG); Tracking meetings and documenting meeting discussions to identify areas of success and opportunities
- Proxy Voting: Contributing to the ongoing refinement of AMD's Global Proxy Voting Policy positions; Overseeing vote execution; Communicating our philosophy, principles, and key messages to sales and clients; Identifying opportunities for system and infrastructure enhancement
- Communication & Collaboration: Sharing collective insights on thematic topics and the latest trends in the market regarding stewardship with investment teams and sales across AMD; Participating in stewardship initiatives across Goldman Sachs
- Policies & Reporting: Maintaining an understanding of stewardship best practices and country-specific stewardship codes; Contributing to AMD's ongoing reporting and disclosures, such as the PRI, Stewardship Report and Policies
- Industry Involvement & Partnership: Participating in select industry events; Monitoring key developments and sharing insights with the Stewardship Team and other internal stakeholders
The Global Stewardship Team is a dedicated team within AMD's public markets business that is responsible for proxy voting and company and industry engagement. The team works closely with teams across AMD, including AMD's various investment teams to apply the AMD Global Proxy Voting Policy, and to engage with portfolio company management throughout the year. EXPERIENCE & SKILLS WE'RE LOOKING FOR
- 2-5 years of experience conducting research as a financial analyst, performing shareholder engagement at a publicly listed company, or evaluating governance at a proxy advisory firm
- Solid written and verbal communication skills (fluent Mandarin and business-level English & Japanese)
- Strong project management skills
- Good familiarity with Word, Excel and PowerPoint, experience in creating presentations and some data analysis
- Strong interest in ESG issues, proxy voting and engagement
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to partner with AMD's portfolio managers
- Strong professional character, self-starter, and ability to work as part of a diverse team
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity