Head of Japan Compliance, Vice President
Why this role is important to us
The team you will be joining plays an important role in the overall success of the organization. Across the globe, institutional investors rely on us to help them manage risk, respond to challenges, and drive performance and profitability. To make that happen we need teams like yours to help navigate employees and the organization as a whole. In your role you will strive for cutting-edge solutions, that are straightforward and scalable. You will help us build resilience and execute day to day deliverables at our best.
Join us if making your mark in the financial services industry from day one is a challenge you are up for. What you will be responsible for
As Head of Compliance, you will
What we value
- Lead and manage the Japan Compliance team in executing the compliance oversight program to comply with applicable legal, regulatory and internal requirements
- Ensure effective identification, measurement, control and management of compliance risk (both local and global)
- Oversee the monitoring of applicable regulatory changes and participate in the Global Regulatory Change Management program
- Act as a liaison with regulatory agencies, internal and external advisors and other internal control groups on compliance/risk- related issues in area of responsibility, closely coordinating and/or collaborating with senior management, particularly President & CEO and newly created Director role, ICD at SSTB.
- Play a leading role in local risk and compliance committee and participate in local and regional governance/management meetings. Proactively identify and escalate any issues and weaknesses in the governance structure and promote the governance requirements as identified within the State Street model.
- Consult, advise and support management on compliance and regulatory matters that affect business decisions and the execution of their duties
- Proactively engage with Conduct, Financial Crime, Privacy, Risk Management and other control groups across State Street as required
- Manage and develop Japan Compliance team by developing talent and actively engaging with key stakeholders
- Proactively support front-line bankers and staff particularly Sales, Relationship Managers & Customer Service staff at the time when they need compliance advice
- Participate in industry groups, conferences etc. to expand specialized functional knowledge
These skills will help you succeed in this role
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Proficient Japanese and English language skill, and genuine interest in working for a foreign bank.
- Good working knowledge of the conduct of business rules and local regulatory requirements that relate to financial industry such as Banking Act, FIEA etc.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision-making and negotiation skills.
- Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills, and recent people management experience
- Ability to drive change through collaboration and influence
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively and efficiently
- Ability to comfortably interact & communicate with all levels of the organization including senior executive management
About State Street What we do.
- Bachelor's degree in business or equivalent.
- Extensive experience (+12 years) Japan financial (preferably banking and trust banking) regulatory environment experienced gained in compliance, risk management, dealing with financial regulators and/or internal control in a financial services environment.
State Street is one of the largest custodian banks, asset managers and asset intelligence companies in the world. From technology to product innovation, we're making our mark on the financial services industry. For more than two centuries, we've been helping our clients safeguard and steward the investments of millions of people. We provide investment servicing, data & analytics, investment research & trading and investment management to institutional clients. Work, Live and Grow.
We make all efforts to create a great work environment. Our benefits packages are competitive and comprehensive. Details vary by location, but you may expect generous medical care, insurance and savings plans, among other perks. You'll have access to flexible Work Programs to help you match your needs. And our wealth of development programs and educational support will help you reach your full potential. Inclusion, Diversity and Social Responsibility.
We truly believe our employees' diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives are a powerful contributor to creating an inclusive environment where everyone can thrive and reach their maximum potential while adding value to both our organization and our clients. We warmly welcome candidates of diverse origin, background, ability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and personality. Another fundamental value at State Street is active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader. You will have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, matching gift programs and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you.
State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Discover more at StateStreet.com/careers