MBD Legal, Vice President, Tokyo
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB LEGAL
We work at the intersection of finance and law, providing counsel and advice that support activities across the firm. We handle litigation and arbitration, perform research and due diligence, aid in financing and legal filings, deal with contracts and intellectual property rights that show our commitment to clients, shareholders, and regulators. Whether you're an experienced attorney or a quick learner with a strong interest in financial law coupled with critical thinking skills, our dynamic group might be right for you.
The role will be based in Tokyo and you will be reporting to the Managing Director of the Tokyo legal team covering the Asia Special Situations Group and Merchant Banking Division.
The ASSG and MBD are the primary center for Goldman Sachs' long-term principal investment activity investing in a broad spectrum of assets, including real estate, private equity and renewable energy. The team works closely with the business professionals and other Federation groups supporting the ASSG/MBD business. We advise the business on all regulatory, legal, compliance-related and reputational risks on a broad range of investments (private equity, PIPE, equity-linked, debt, real estate and others) in Japan.
We are looking for someone who is interested in joining a strong team of lawyers supporting a dynamic business. You will have the opportunity to work with one of the top private equity / investing businesses and play a significant role in supporting the business. You will work closely with the business on identifying legal and regulatory issues, reviewing investment documentation and navigating through the various risks. This role will allow you to learn and grow in a stimulating environment, and enable you to work with like-minded professionals in the Firm, who strive to deliver the highest quality of service consistent with the Firm's standards. You will have a high level of interaction with the business professionals throughout the entire investment cycle, from structuring and execution, to portfolio management and harvesting. You will have the opportunity to develop and shine as part of a team supporting a business focused on exciting and interesting investment opportunities. RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS Key responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide legal advice to the investment arm of Goldman Sachs Asset Management (formerly, ASSG and MBD) on fund and principal investment transactions and documentation
- Provide assistance on negotiations on documentation relating to all aspects of our investments, including equity and debt term sheets, letters of Intent, loan agreements and sale and purchase agreements.
- Advising on regulatory matters impacting our investments (including global and local regulations, such as the Bank Holding Company Act and the Volcker Rules)
- Working with compliance and other control-side teams on regulatory matters and investigations.
- Liaise with the regional and global legal teams on all matters impacting the investment and fund business
- Assist in the preparation of submission materials to, and presentation at, the internal regional and global committees.
The role requires the ability to work independently and to manage a diverse and complex workload meeting tight deadlines. Lawyers in our team work closely with a diverse group of clients and thrive on the pressures of delivering consistently high quality advice to a dynamic, and constantly evolving, business. Qualifications and Requirements:
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
- Japan qualified lawyer ( bengoshi ) with minimum 5 years PQE
- Relevant post-qualification experience either with a reputable law firm or as in-house counsel
- Strong grounding in PE investment/M&A related documentation and legal matters, applicable laws and regulations.
- Team player with exceptional communication skills
- English and Japanese language skills required (ability to read, write and draft legal documentation in English and Japanese)
- Preferred Qualifications
- Highly organized, attention to detail and excellent follow - through
- Demonstrated client service focus and ability to build relationships across different levels, functions and regions
- Ability to balance multiple, time-sensitive projects while maintaining a longer term strategic focus.