The Risk Division, as second line of defense for the firm, identifies, anticipates, measures and mitigates - whenever appropriate - the diverse array of risks that the firm faces in serving clients and operating its global businesses. Risk professionals focus on giving the firm clarity on the risk profile of our activities and devise strategies to protect the firm's ability to serve our clients as a leader in global financial markets. Market Risk Overview
Market Risk Specialists (MR) are part of the Risk division and are responsible for effective deployment of the firm's market risk appetite, prudent risk management and regulatory compliance for the Firm's market risks. This is achieved through the proactive application of expert knowledge, judgement and risk management capabilities including limit setting. Activities are centered on Risk management and analysis, transparency and escalation of Risk, Supervision and overall process improvement.
Joining the team will give you the opportunity to focus on activities in the Interest Rate Products business, as well as market risk management for Legal Entities in Japan. You will work closely with colleagues around the globe on tasks and projects that contribute directly to the firm's success. MR professionals gain diverse financial experience and a broad perspective on how the entire firm functions. The interaction with numerous departments and the range of projects that ensue allow for a challenging, varied and multi-dimensional work environment. Responsibilities
- Evaluate market risk taking behavior and influence outcomes through portfolio and transaction level risk analysis as well as risk limit calibration and setting
- Understand factors and events that could lead to an impact on the financial markets, and analyze their impact on the firm's portfolios
- Perform pro-active ad hoc stress tests ahead of notable market events
- Ensure that issues are promptly escalated to senior management
- Direct the implementation of new risk measures and improvements to existing measures using knowledge of risk management and communicating directly with senior management on risk-related issues
- Review and challenge risk taking activities while engaging effectively with traders/bankers
- Monitor adherence to established risk limits and ensuring that material risks are effectively communicated to senior management
- Maintain shared responsibility for signing off on the Market Risk approval process for new products traded by the businesses covered
- Operate at an intersection of risk appetite and conducting business
- Improve commercial impact and effective personnel performance under a robust control environment
- Interaction with regulators
- Strong academic record with Bachelor's degree, equivalent or above in Finance, Economics or a related quantitative/analytical discipline preferred
- Understanding of financial products (including derivatives/greeks) is desired. Experience with coding preferred.
- Ability to collaborate with people from different departments and levels of seniority
- Ability to communicate complex information directly with senior management
- Native Japanese speaking/writing skills
- Business level English speaking/writing skills
- 7 years+ experience in the industry/a relevant role
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
At Goldman Sachs, we commit our people, capital and ideas to help our clients, shareholders and the communities we serve to grow. Founded in 1869, we are a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. Headquartered in New York, we maintain offices around the world.
We believe who you are makes you better at what you do. We're committed to fostering and advancing diversity and inclusion in our own workplace and beyond by ensuring every individual within our firm has a number of opportunities to grow professionally and personally, from our training and development opportunities and firmwide networks to benefits, wellness and personal finance offerings and mindfulness programs. Learn more about our culture, benefits, and people at GS.com/careers.
We're committed to finding reasonable accommodations for candidates with special needs or disabilities during our recruiting process. Learn more: https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/footer/disability-statement.html
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2021. All rights reserved.
Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity