- Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
- Permanent, Full time
VP Head of Relationship Management - Japan
Location: Tokyo, Tokyo-to, JapanThis senior Relationship Management position will lead a small team responsible for Moody's business relationships within the Japan market. It is responsible for the ongoing development of our relationships with our existing customer base of rated companies and structured finance issuers, as well as building new business opportunities and potential new customers by delivering a sophisticated value proposition.
The position requires a dynamic individual with strong experience in the Japanese financial markets. Leading a small team based in Tokyo, the successful candidate will have strong negotiation and influencing skills, and the proven ability to develop and execute on a strategic business development plan to grow new business mandates and maintain and expand the current client base.
Key to success in the role will be outstanding communication and presentation skills, and the ability to sustain a consistently strong and strategically targeted outreach program. The individual will be capable of leading effective engagement at senior level both internally and externally, and display a natural strategic acumen that will support Moody's strong market position in both the short and long term horizons.
An in-depth understanding of both domestic and international capital markets is essential, as is the ability to successfully cultivate a broad contact network across a significant region. Direct exposure to the Japanese capital markets, including securitisation, is strongly preferred.
- Lead the management of over 100 complex key accounts in the region.
- Responsible for retaining existing customers and expanding the share of wallet by selling a tailored value proposition, in addition to seeking out new customer opportunities.
- Plan and execute on an effective outreach schedule including issuers, intermediaries and other influencers.
- Lead complex product, contract and pricing negotiations for maximum effect.
- Provide effective management and mentorship to three supporting team members.
- Engage with other key Tokyo office business managers to ensure alignment, and lead outbound reporting and communication to MIS senior management.
- Maintain active and impactful relationships with issuers at all levels independently.
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to reach out and connect with C-level.
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Excellent strategic planning, and dynamic prioritisation of outreach activities.
- High autonomy in achieving business objectives
- Expert level knowledge on financial instruments, key characteristics and dynamics of capital and credit markets in her or his market segment / territory
- Able to read financial statements to identify financial needs and understand the financial strategy of each firm
- Strong adherence to compliance culture
The team is part of a broader group based in 8 offices across Asia Pacific and responsible for developing commercial relationships with rating clients including financial institutions, corporates, infrastructure and sub-sovereigns; as well as all classes of structured finance transactions
Academic Qualifications / Work Experience
- Minimum of Undergraduate / First Level degree (or equivalent) preferably in finance, accounting, business or economics.
- Over 15 years of experience in the financial services industry or similar industry is required.
- Previous experience within the rating industry, debt capital markets or as an analyst is desired.
- Previous experience in sales & marketing, and team management is important.
- Strong negotiating, planning and presentation skills essential.
- Management experience and some exposure to credit analysis will be an advantage.
- Travel within Japan is required
- Fluent in Japanese and English.
- Strong experience with Japanese business culture is required.
Moody's is an essential component of the global capital markets, providing credit ratings, research, tools and analysis that contribute to transparent and integrated financial markets. Moody's Corporation (NYSE: MCO) is the parent company of Moody's Investors Service, which provides credit ratings and research covering debt instruments and securities, and Moody's Analytics, which offers leading-edge software, advisory services and research for credit and economic analysis and financial risk management. The Corporation, which reported revenue of $3.6 billion in 2016, employs approximately 10,700 people worldwide and maintains a presence in 36 countries. Further information is available at www.moodys.com.
Moody's is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Candidates for Moody's Corporation may be asked to disclose securities holdings pursuant to Moody's Policy for Securities Trading and the requirements of the position. Employment is contingent upon compliance with the Policy, including remediation of positions in those holdings as necessary.