Octopus is a group of businesses investing in the people, ideas and industries that will help change the world. Founded in 2000, we're now one of the UK's fastest-growing companies, operating in two sectors - financial services and energy supply. In our financial services business, we've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist investment sectors, including smaller companies, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ more than 750 people and manage more than £8.3 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 retail and institutional investors. At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people.
We're a group of entrepreneurially-minded businesses, each built on the belief that people and the planet deserve better. Our group includes Octopus Energy, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Investments, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Wealth, Octopus Giving and Seccl.
Life at Octopus is never dull. We're an ambitious, people-first business that wants to make the world a better place. Because of this, we value energy, curiosity, resilience, and integrity. We're different from most other companies you may have worked for. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values. Job Description
The marketing and design function at Octopus is a "COE" ("Centre of expertise"). This means that all the brand, design, marketing and comms activity across our financial services businesses and parent company ultimately sits in one team, and reports to a single Director. This role is in the Marketing Centre of Expertise, working across all the businesses in the Octopus Group (including Octopus Ventures, one of the leading backers of entrepreneurs and smaller companies, and Octopus Renewables, one of the biggest owners of offshore wind and solar farms in the UK)
About the role:
We're looking for a UX writer to work within the Marketing and Design COE, reporting to our very new Head of UX and Digital. You'll love this role if you're an enthusiastic creative, who likes to solve customer problems through words, and can write in a way that makes financial products accessible to everyone.
• Creating brilliant copy for our pre- and post-sale online products
• Content strategy and planning
• Maintaining content standards and consistency
• Improving our content processes Qualifications
This role is for you if:
• You're excited by the Octopus vision, values and long-term goals
• You're motivated by knotty business problems - and enjoy collaborating with stakeholders to solve them
• You're an advocate for evidence-based content - with skills in both discovery and usability testing
• You like to work with a variety of people, including UX/UI designers, researchers, developers, content managers and marketeers
• You're able to guide your team on how content contributes to the user experience, as well as educate the wider business on the role of content in digital spaces
• You can give and receive feedback constructively, and you're always keen to lear
Ideally, you'll have some or all of the following qualifications, skills and job-related experience
• You've got experience as a UX Writer or Content Designer, and you've written for websites and digital products before
• Experience somewhere in the financial services ecosystem (or or an interest in coming into the sector and learning at speed!)
• Facilitating design workshops to solve content challenges for our customers
• User research
And to really stand out from the crowd, you will display the following qualities and characteristics:
• Self-motivated, driven and energetic
• Able to work in cross-functional teams, and think laterally across other workstreams
• An "ideas person", motivated by finding new ways of doing things and constantly improving
• Able to influence and get buy-in to your ideas, and drive them forward
• Enthusiasm and keenness to learn, develop and grow
• Flexibility, and openness to challenges, curveballs, and other opportunities Additional Information
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.