Senior Software Engineer - Compliance Cloud Platform
You've seen the headlines. Financial firms are fined millions of dollars when just one employee does something they shouldn't. It can be as serious as insider trading or as seemingly innocent as an inappropriate instant message. Keeping track of who is saying, doing, and trading what is a daunting task for compliance officers, especially with the explosion in the volume and variety of data produced by communications and trading platforms.
That's where Bloomberg Compliance comes in. Composed of Bloomberg Vault Archive and Bloomberg Surveillance, Bloomberg Compliance provides a single platform for compliant storage and reconstruction of our customer's communication, collaboration, and financial transaction data. More than 1,000 organizations use our product to manage and archive their enterprise communications and collaboration data, including email, instant message (IM), mobile, files, trade and documents, voice data and social media. Our multi-tenant cloud processes 300 million messages daily and stores about 90 billion archived objects, and we are looking to grow significantly in the next two years. Our web applications service hundreds of search requests per day.
You will be part of the engineering team responsible for Compliance's cloud compute platform and the open source services including Kafka, Spark, Zookeeper, and Storm that are powering Bloomberg Compliance's large scale data processing pipelines. Your team's largest tenants are processing the lion's share of the data volume aforementioned: the real-time Communications Surveillance engine and the batch ETL pipelines for trade and communications archiving. Our product's stringent SLA and massive influx of data volume serve as a primary driver for our platform to be highly available, scalable, and reliable!
Our strategic roadmap for the next two years consists of re-architecting backend systems to bring them into our private cloud stack, primarily in the Surveillance area, and at the same time migrating some of our core platform services to Bloomberg Software Infrastructure's Managed Services and Kubernetes infrastructure. As a senior engineer, you and your team will take on the challenge of modernizing Bloomberg Compliance's state of compute platform as a whole. You'll need to have:
We'd love to see:
- Passion for architecting distributed systems that can massively scale with data volume
- Expertise in open source technologies including Kafka, Spark, Cassandra, Storm or Flink
- Experience using open source cloud orchestration systems e.g. Mesos, Docker, or Kubernetes
- 5+ years of experience in Java and Python including fine-tuning JVM performance
- 5+ years of experience operating platforms and services for large scale data processing
- BA, BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or related technology field
- Domain experience with Financial Industry communications data
- Experience setting up Continuous Integration and Deployment pipelines for platform software
- Experience building production systems on public cloud e.g. AWS, Azure, Google cloud
- Experience configuring and fine tuning distributed, stateful systems such as HDFS, ZooKeeper, Cassandra, or Accumulo for performance optimization
Bloomberg is an equal opportunities employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.